Ballymena United 0
Newry Town (City) 1
League (Premier Division)

Ballymena United
0 - 1

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, January 27th, 2001
Ballymena Showgrounds
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Richard Culberton (60) (o.g.)

Team Managers
Kenny Shiels
Alfie Wylie

Starting Eleven
Tim Dalton
Richard Culbertson
Jason Allen
Nigel Boyd
Gerry Flynn
Mark Carlisle
Gerard Lyttle
Kieran Loughran
Blair Scoullar
Shea Campbell
Glenn Hunter
David O'Hare
Trevor McMullan
David McGeough
Robert Casey
Seamus Kane
Brian McCrystal
Dean Fitzgerald
Pat O'Toole
Gary McPhee
Mark Dickson
Gareth Fulton

David Calderwood
Simon McNicholl
Aaron Burgess
Simon Parkinson
Thomas Morgan
Graham Doyle

David Calderwood for Gerry Flynn (42)
Simon McNicholl for Blair Scoullar (71)
Aaron Burgess for Shea Campbell (80)
Simon Parkinson for Mark Dickson (87)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Alan Snoddy (Referee)
P. Thompson & D. Grimley (Assistants)

Match Report

Newry Town broke a ten year duck today at the Showgrounds and, in the process, plunged United even deeper into the relegation mire.

The visitors hadn't won at the Warden Street venue since late 1991 and for long periods today it looked like that run would continue. Not that Ballymena were much better - it was just a poor game all round.

Take the first half, for example. The only incident of note was Brian McCrystal's 13th minute effort which deflected off United defender Mark Carlisle to safety although Gary McPhee shot narrowly past the post just before the break.

The second half was a much better spectacle.

Ballymena came closest to opening the scoring in the 56th minute when Glenn Hunter received the ball from debutant Shea Campbell, turned and fired low at the far post only to be thwarted by 'keeper Davy O'Hare.

Three minutes later at the other end Mark Dickson shot from close range but United 'keeper Tim Dalton produced a reflex save with his feet to deny him.

However, Town only had to wait another minute to open the scoring. Dickson darted down the left wing, sent a low cross into the six yard box which United defender Ricky Culberton turned into his own net under pressure from McPhee.

United pressed for the equaliser but apart from a Campbell touch in the 66th minute and a David Calderwood effort from just inside the area a little later they had little to show for their endeavour.

Newry, on the other hand, were denied a second goal by a Gerard Lyttle goal line clearance and a point blank save from McPhee in a blistering six minute spell as the game wore to a close.

Match report written by Official Irish League website

Squad Statistics (as at January 27th, 2001)

2000-2001 All Time
Tim Dalton (GK)35 4 - 4 -
Gerry Flynn28 27 - 611
Mark Carlisle32 27 - 3472
Jason Allen30 2932327
Richard Culbertson20 6 - 171
Nigel Boyd27 27319411
Kieran Loughran20 223293
Gerard Lyttle23 263263
Blair Scoullar21 192192
Glenn Hunter33 4311750
Shea Campbell19 1 - 1 -
Simon McNicholl (sub)20 142142
David Calderwood (sub)23 21 - 592
Aaron Burgess (sub)22 153153

League Table (as at January 27th, 2001)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Linfield 25 17 6 2 57
2. Coleraine 25 11 8 6 41
3. Glenavon 24 11 6 7 39
4. Cliftonville 24 9 8 7 35
5. Glentoran 24 9 8 7 35
6. Newry 25 9 4 12 31
7. Portadown 24 7 7 10 28
8. BALLYMENA UTD 26 7 5 14 26
9. Omagh Town 25 5 9 11 24
10. Crusaders 26 3 11 12 20