Ballymena United 1
Larne 0
Ulster Cup (Group Stage)

Ballymena United
1 - 0

Ulster Cup (Group Stage)
Tuesday, September 3rd, 2002
Ballymena Showgrounds
7:30 PM Kick-off

Shea Campbell (57)

Team Managers
Kenny Shiels
Tommy Kincaid

Starting Eleven
David Henry
Nigel Boyd
Paul Byrne
David McAlinden
Alfie Stewart
Joe Gray
Oran Kearney
Trevor McLernon
Trevor McMullan
Shea Campbell
Gareth McLaughlin
Andy McDonald
Owen Montague
Emmanuel Maxwell
David Jess
Alan Murphy
Gareth Murray
Robert Moore
Scott Cowie
Mark Craig
Neil Candlish
John Kerr

Mark Carlisle
Richard Culbertson
Peter Withnell
Gareth Walsh
Scott Drummond
Phil McDonagh

Richard Culbertson for Nigel Boyd (42)
Peter Withnell for Gareth McLaughlin (56)
Mark Carlisle for Alfie Stewart (76)
Gareth Walsh for Owen Montague (70)
Scott Drummond for Mark Craig (82)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Stephen Weatherall (Belfast) (Referee)

Match Report

A sure sign of a good side is one that can grind out important results even when they don't play to the best of their ability. United are starting to develop into such a side if this win over Larne is anything to go by.

Anyone expecting another goal avalanche following last Monday's annihilation of Institute was sorely disappointed. Instead the game developed into a dour midfield battle with neither side seemingly capable of grabbing the upper hand.

United might have opened the scoring after five minutes when Trevor McLernon fired just over the bar while Larne themselves threatened on 21 minutes when John Kerr failed to finish when well placed.

Former United favourite Neil Candlish came close for the visitors on 30 minutes with a curling left foot effort which fortunately sailed just past the upright.

Then, just before half-time, Ricky Culbertson almost broke the deadlock with a 40-yard lob which forced Larne 'keeper Andy McDonald to backpedal to scramble over the bar.

However, on 57 minutes, United moved ahead. A mistake by Larne defender David Jess in failing to block a through ball allowed Shea Campbell in to direct the ball past McDonald and into the corner of the net.

McLernon might have added a second ten minutes from time with a free-kick from the edge of the area awarded for a foul on Oran Kearney only for the set piece to whizz wide.

Soon after Campbell wasted a glorious chance to double his tally when Culbertson floated over a cross but this time the 21-year-old could only offer a weak header which never really threatened.

This win lifts United back into contention for the Ulster Cup with a crucial game away to second-placed Bangor coming up on Saturday.

Match report written by Official Ballymena United website

Squad Statistics (as at September 3rd, 2002)

2002-2003 All Time
David Henry (GK)24 4 - 4 -
Nigel Boyd29 4224820
Paul Byrne38 2 - 232
David McAlinden18 5 - 403
Alfie Stewart37 5151
Joe Gray21 4 - 4 -
Oran Kearney24 5151
Trevor McLernon21 4 - 477
Trevor McMullan36 5 - 497
Shea Campbell21 555921
Gareth McLaughlin18 51122
Mark Carlisle (sub)33 4 - 4042
Richard Culbertson (sub)22 4 - 333
Peter Withnell (sub)34 423418

League Table (as at September 3rd, 2002)

Pld W D L Pts

No games played.