Ballymena 4
Coleraine 0
City Cup

4 - 0

City Cup
Saturday, March 5th, 1932
Ballymena Showgrounds
3:00 PM Kick-off

Robert Stoddart (19)
John Barr (27)
Robert Stoddart (43)
John McNinch (pen.) (75)

Team Managers
Selection Committee
John McCandless

Starting Eleven
James King
Billy McCandless
John McNinch
Robert Stewart
James Surgenor
David Flannigan
John Barr
Ronald Cameron
Andrew Haddow
David Hodge
Robert Stoddart
Charles Magee
Alfred Dickson
Steve Mitchell
Ernest Leckey
John Williamson
William Mears
William Chambers
Robert Lyness
David Pringle
William Devan
Jim Nesbitt


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

A. Leishman (Falkirk) (Referee)

Match Report

Unfortunately for Coleraine their visit to the Showgrounds last Saturday coincided with a promising revival by the Ballymena team, who beat them by 4-0 in a game in which Ballymena were definitely superior, both in attack and defence.

The early exchanges produced a great ding-dong struggle for the supremacy, and pleasant to relate, it was Ballymena who went ahead, Stoddart opening the scoring with a fine goal. Bar, who played at outside right, scored the second, and before the interval Stoddart ran through on his own and took the home score to three.

Three goals to nil against a strong wind was pretty good augury for a Ballymena victory, and McNinch sealed the issue in the second half when he converted a penalty. Against the almost impregnable home defence the Coleraine forwards could do little or nothing, and Ballymena ran out easy winners.

A feature of the game was the good leadership of Haddow, who kept the home attack moving quickly all the time, and who, although he did not score, played a splendid part in helping to win Ballymena their first brace of points in the City Cup competition.

Coleraine had slightly the better of the opening exchanges, as they played with a stiff breeze behind them, and King was twice in action, once in saving from Pringle and again from Chambers. Ballymena advanced on the left and Hodge hesitated when he should have centred and Dickson cleared. Devan put Nesbitt in possession, but McNinch came to the rescue and King ran out and cleared.

A doubtful 'free' against Ballymena when the forwards were well set incurred the wrath of the spectators. Ballymena, however, got going again, and Haddow pushed the ball out to Hodge, but the winger was bundled off.

There was a thrill when Stewart placed a 'free' in the goal mouth, but the ball was eventually scrambled away, and at the other end Chambers shot over the bar. Flannigan opened up and transferred to Haddow, who in turn put out to Barr, whose claim for a corner was ignored. Flannigan next tried a long shot which passed outside.

At the end of nineteen minutes Ballymena opened the scoring in a movement which originated with Flannigan, the centre-half pushing out to Hodge, and he transferred to Robert Stoddart, who easily beat Magee with a well-placed shot.

Dickson dropped the ball in the Ballymena goalmouth from a free, and following a scramble McCandless cleared. Then Dickson cleared from Haddow in the Coleraine goal-mouth when the Ballymena forwards were pressing hard. By this time Ballymena had got a thorough grip of the game and their efforts were further rewarded at the end of 27 minutes when a Cameron-Haddow movement finished when John Barr was put in possession and scored with a curving shot which deceived Magee.

Now two goals behind, the Bannmen worked harder than ever to pierce the home defence, but McNinch and McCandless were giving nothing away. Mears landed the ball into goal from a 'free', but King fisted out confidently.

A third Ballymena goal looked almost certain when Barr raced through on his own, but at the critical moment he pushed the ball just a little too far ahead, leaving Magee time to pick up and clear. The third goal, however, was not long delayed, for a couple of minutes before the interval Robert Stoddart cut in from Hodge's pass and scored a beauty.

With the wind behind them in the second half Ballymena were early aggressive, Cameron receiving from Barr and forcing a corner in the first minute. A second corner followed, but danger was averted. Ballymena hung about their opponents' goal for a time, and in the course of close exchanges it had narrow escapes from Haddow and Cameron. Nesbitt was on the mark with a shot at the other end, but it was not fast enough to be dangerous, Kiing handling it easily.

In the course of subsequent exchanges, which, though not so fast as in the first half, were still quite interesting, Stoddart was injured, but pluckily resumed without leaving the field. From a free to Coleraine Williamson fired in a stiff shot which King saved at the bottom of the upright. Coleraine's first corner followed soon afterwards, but a clearance was effected, and at the opposite end Surgenor grazed the bar with a terrific drive. Then Haddow had a glorious chance to score, but his judgement was at fault, the ball flashing across goal instead of into the net.

Twenty-nine minutes from the resumption a penalty was awarded against Coleraine for an infringement by Mitchell, and John McNinch gave Magee no chance with the spot kick, thus making Ballymena's score four goals.

Some feeling crept into the game at different periods, players on both sides being pulled up for offences, but fortunately none of them was of such a nature as to incur drastic measures. Cameron was injured, but soon resumed, appearing none the worse.

A lively tussle occurred in the Coleraine goalmouth following a 'free', and when the ball came out Surgenor drove in hard and all but scored, the ball passing the post by a fraction of an inch. So constant was the Ballymena attack that King got very little to do in this half, but towards the end he distinguished himself by pushing over the bar a great shot from Chambers.

Following the corner Stewart headed clear and Ballymena were soon in the Coleraine end, where Haddow forced another corner, which was unproductive.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (12 March 1932)

Squad Statistics (as at March 5th, 1932)

1931-1932 All Time
James King (GK)24 36 - 36 -
Billy McCandless39 351822
John McNinch28 3671539
Robert Stewart25 383814
James Surgenor21 20 - 20 -
David Flannigan26 181181
John Barr27 28292829
Ronald Cameron26 124156
Andrew Haddow28 286286
David Hodge22 6 - 6 -
Robert Stoddart30 24132413

League Table (as at March 5th, 1932)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Linfield 25 19 3 3 41
2. Derry City 26 16 6 4 38
3. Coleraine 26 13 6 7 32
4. Glentoran 26 12 7 7 31
5. Belfast Celtic 25 13 5 7 31
6. BALLYMENA 26 12 5 9 29
7. Cliftonville 26 11 5 10 27
8. Distillery 26 8 7 11 23
9. Portadown 25 8 6 11 22
10. Newry 26 9 4 13 22
11. Glenavon 26 7 5 14 19
12. Larne 26 6 7 13 19
13. Ards 26 6 4 16 16
14. Bangor 25 2 6 17 10