Bangor 2
Ballymena 0
City Cup


2 - 0


City Cup
Saturday, February 27th, 1932
Ballyholme Showgrounds
3:00 PM Kick-off

James McKnight (5) (pen.)
Sidney Howard (80)

Team Managers
Selection Committee Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
J. McCaffrey
William Buchanan
Joe Armstrong
Sidney Howard
Albert Presdee
Sam Cooley
John Casey
James McKnight
Joseph Russell
James King
Billy McCandless
John McNinch
Robert Stewart
James Surgenor
David Flannigan
John Barr
William Cox
William Hood
John Murphy
Robert Stoddart


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

W. Boyd (Belfast) (Referee)

Match Report

Had Ballymena not been deprived of the services of Hood early in the game they might possibly have brought home the points from Bangor last Saturday, but the loss of this player upset them considerably.

About twenty minutes after the start he had his right ankle broken though coming into contact with an opponent, and was carried off on a stretcher and later removed to the Royal Victoria Hospital.

The game was a flat affair throughout, neither team displaying anything more than very moderate football. In the first few minutes a penalty was awarded against McCandless for 'hands', McKnight beating King with the kick.

Howard scored direct from a corner in the second-half, Ballymena failing to make any reply Bangor thus won another couple of points to add to the two they secured at Newry a week previously.

Winning the toss Ballymena sent Bangor to face the sun, and right at the start the visitors threatened danger, but Barr's shot went over the bar. Midfield exchanges followed, and then Bangor bore down on the Ballymena goal, but Kilpatrick missed a good opportunity. In attempting to clear McCandless handled inside the penalty area, and James McKnight beat King with the spot kick for the opening goal.

Coming at the end of five minutes this goal was a shock to Ballymena, who tried hard for the equaliser, but a steady defence broke up all their attacks. Again the Bangor forwards closed in on the visiting goal, and when it looked almost a dead cert that Kilpatrick would beat King from a yard out he sent the ball wildly across goal and right over to the corner flag.

When the game was about twenty minutes' old Hood, when sliding in with one foot to push the ball ahead, made contact with it at the same time as an opponent and had his right ankle fractured, the snap of the bone being heard clearly on the touch-line. A stretcher was called for and the unfortunate player was carried to the pavilion, where he soon received medical attention and was afterwards removed in an ambulance to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.

With only four forwards now in their front line Ballymena continued to hold their own Cox put in a great shot which was charged down at the expense of a corner. When the ball came in from the flag kick Flannigan had a rattle for goal, but an opponent got in the way, and then Stewart drove in hard on the rebound, the ball striking an upright and bouncing out. This was as near as Ballymena ever came to scoring during the whole match, and it was hard lines on them that a goal did not come off this series of shots.

When Ballymena were awarded a penalty for 'hands' it raised good hopes of the equaliser but McCaffrey smothered Stoddart's shot and cleared. From now until the interval both teams raided in turn, but the gap in the Ballymena attack was felt, and on the other hand Bangor were bad finishers.

On resuming Ballymena were placed at a disadvantage in having to face the sun. For a long time play was quiet neither team giving of their best. Afterwards both ends were visited periodically, Murphy being on the mark with a shot in saving which McCaffrey conceded a corner, and King running out repeatedly at the other end to lift loose balls, and on one occasion to stop a brilliant shot from Weir.

Bangor came more into the picture after this, and the Ballymena defence had to work hard to keep the invaders out, whilst King was often in action. As far as the few Ballymena raids were concerned they were only successful up to a point, that point being the verge of the penalty area, where the attacks broke down completely.

Ten minutes from the end Bangor forced two corners, and from the second Sidney Howard scored direct, the ball curving in, striking the far upright and bouncing into the net. Up to the end Bangor were the aggressors and ran out winners by 2-0.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (4 March 1932)

Squad Statistics (as at February 27th, 1932)

1931-1932 All Time
James King (GK)24 34 - 34 -
Billy McCandless39 331802
John McNinch28 3461518
Robert Stewart25 363794
James Surgenor21 18 - 18 -
David Flannigan26 161161
John Barr27 27282728
William Cox - 329329
William Hood - 261261
John Murphy34 2069055
Robert Stoddart30 22112211

League Table (as at February 27th, 1932)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Linfield 24 19 3 2 41
2. Derry City 26 16 6 4 38
3. Coleraine 26 13 6 7 32
4. Glentoran 26 12 7 7 31
5. Belfast Celtic 25 13 5 7 31
6. BALLYMENA 25 11 5 9 27
7. Cliftonville 26 11 5 10 27
8. Distillery 26 8 7 11 23
9. Portadown 25 8 6 11 22
10. Newry 26 9 4 13 22
11. Glenavon 26 7 5 14 19
12. Larne 26 6 7 13 19
13. Ards 26 6 4 16 16
14. Bangor 25 2 6 17 10