Newry Town (City) 1
Ballymena 1
League (Irish League)


1 - 1


League (Irish League)
Saturday, September 26th, 1931
Newry Showgrounds
3:00 PM Kick-off

Peter Inglis (37) John Murphy (3)

Team Managers
Selection Committee Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
Thomas Breen
John Feenan
James Kelly
Thomas Lynch
Thomas Donnelly
E. Pye
Peter Inglis
David Keyes
James King
John McNinch
Robert Stewart
Billy McCandless
David Flannigan
William McCready
William Cox
John Murphy
John Barr
Robert Stoddart
Ronald Cameron


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

W. Boyd (Belfast) (Referee)

Match Report

A feature of the match at Newry last Saturday when Ballymena and Newry Town met was the good goalkeeping on both sides, both King and Breen giving displays well above the ordinary.

If the work of the outfield players had been on par with that of the goalies the match would have been far more interesting than it happened to be.

There was hardly anything to enthuse over, except, perhaps, the way Murphy rose to the occasion when he scored Ballymena's only goal at the end of three minutes from a splendid cross from Cox. Newry's goal, which came at the end of thirty-seven minutes was largely the result of a misunderstanding between King and McCandless, and compared with Ballymena's goal was a soft affair.

Neither team impressed, Ballymena revealing a weakness at half-back and a want of constructive play in the forward line, while Newry were always eager, but were poor finishers as a rule. Taking the play generally a draw just about represented the merits of the teams.

Ballymena wore crepe armlets as a mark of sympathy with Mitchell owing to the death of his father. Newry swept down the field in the first minute and Logan stabbed in a fast shot from the left, King making a marvellous save by pushing the ball out with both hands.

Ballymena quickly retaliated with a well concerted attack, in which Stoddart put Cox in a possession, and the latter swung the ball well into goal. Dashing in at full speed, John Murphy timed the flight of the ball to a nicety and headed it into the net. The game was only three minutes old.

Newry were soon attacking again and forced a corner on the right. Then Donnelly drove in hard and McCandless headed clear while standing almost on the goal-line. Kayes missed narrowly with a shot which was only inches wide. In the next Ballymena attack Barr let Cox away and the latter centred well. Kelly failed to clear and Cameron headed into goal, but Breen managed to get his hands to the ball just in time, and averted what seemed would be a certain goal.

On the whole Newry did the greater part of the attacking for the first quarter of an hour or so. They were almost through once but for Flannigan, who kicked the ball clear from amid a host of opponents who were converging on the Ballymena goal. Kayes had another try with a shot that was just inches high. Then King saved a great shot from Donnelly, and in the next minute was called into action by Inglis. During this series of attacks the Ballymena defence was overworked, but in spite of this they kept the invaders out.

At long last the venue changed to the opposite end, where Breen timed well a dropping shot from Murphy. He did well later to catch a shot from Flannigan just as Barr was getting his head to the ball. As yet Ballymena had not settled down properly and were giving an indifferent display.

About eight minutes from the interval Kayes punted the ball past McNinch and McCandless ran in after it to protect King as he was gathering the ball. Inglis, however, slipped round the other side of McCandless, and King either dropped the ball or hit it against him, and Inglis had no trouble in netting through an empty goal.

From now up to the interval Ballymena pressed vigorously, but Breen was equal on all occasions, and saved excellent shots from McCandless and Stoddart.

The Town attacked on resuming, but Ballymena soon retaliated and Murphy tested Breen again. Play swung quickly from and to end again, and the first one goal and then the other came under fire, but the goalies were safe. Once Donnelly had hard lines with a shot that struck the upright.

A corner to the homesters brought more danger, and a wild scramble ensued for possession, the ball being eventually cleared. The Newry goal was in even greater danger when Cox took a neat pass from Barr and dropped the ball into goal. Breen fumbled the shot, but succeeded in getting the ball away just as a couple of opposing forwards closed in on him.

Stewart got the ball across and Barr headed in, but Breen was on the spot again, Donnelly had once or twice it looked as though he was clean through, but erratic shooting spoiled his chances. In saving a long shot from Lynch the Ballymena goalie fell, but was soon on his feet again, and kicked clear.

There were appeals for a goal from a section of the crowd, who thought the ball had crossed the line, but the referee ignored them. In the closing minutes Ballymena attacked strenuously in an endeavour to secure the winning goal, and both Murphy and Stoddart had tries, but could not beat Breen, who throughout the match gave a first-class display.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (2 October 1931)

Squad Statistics (as at September 26th, 1931)

1931-1932 All Time
James King (GK)24 9 - 9 -
John McNinch28 811253
Billy McCandless38 61532
Robert Stewart25 9 - 521
William McCready17 4 - 154
David Flannigan25 3 - 3 -
Robert Stoddart30 6262
Ronald Cameron26 83115
John Murphy33 217250
William Cox - 8282
John Barr26 3232

League Table (as at September 26th, 1931)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Linfield 7 6 1 0 13
2. Belfast Celtic 7 4 3 0 11
3. Derry City 7 4 3 0 11
4. Glentoran 7 4 1 2 9
5. Distillery 7 4 1 2 9
6. Cliftonville 7 3 2 2 8
7. Glenavon 7 3 1 3 7
8. Coleraine 7 2 2 3 6
9. Ards 7 2 1 4 5
10. BALLYMENA 7 1 2 4 4
11. Bangor 7 1 2 4 4
12. Portadown 7 2 0 5 4
13. Larne 7 1 2 4 4
14. Newry 7 1 1 5 3