Ballymena 1
Bangor 4
League (Irish League)

1 - 4

League (Irish League)
Saturday, January 24th, 1931
Ballymena Showgrounds
2:45 PM Kick-off

William Kimlin (25)
Edward Pollock (40)
Alistair McElfatrick (44)
R. Henderson (51)
Alistair McElfatrick (67)

Team Managers
Selection Committee
Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
Robin Blair
Billy McCandless
John McNinch
David Nelson
Robert Stewart
David Reid
Joseph Cassidy
Thomas Kilpatrick
William Kimlin
Richard Shaw
Jamie Shiels
Samuel Moore
William Ellis
Joe Armstrong
James Maguire
Albert Presdee
Andrew Nichol
Mal McKinney
Alistair McElfatrick
Edward Pollock
R. Henderson


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

W. McClean (Belfast) (Referee)

Match Report

For the first half-hour or so Ballymena gave as good as they got in their match with Bangor at the Showgrounds on Saturday, and maybe they gave a little more, but afterwards, and particularly in the second half, they had to acknowledge Bangor's superiority, and retired defeated by four goals to one.

Strange to say, Ballymena opened the scoring against the wind, Kimlin scoring at the end of twenty-five minutes. During this period they played like a winning combination, but subsequently there was a lack of thrust and a want to finish in the forward department which did not augur well for them.

Bangor gradually came more into the picture, and getting well into their stride crossed over at the interval with a lead of two goals to one, Pollock and McElfatrick netting the goals. Ballymena's display in the second half was far below their usual standard. On the few occasions when they did threaten danger the finishing of the forwards was weak.

Their attack was a very modest affair, hardly any of them grasping the needs of the situation. The Bangor forwards, on the other hand, gave the Ballymena defence a very busy time indeed, attacking with any amount of dash and vigour, coupled with speed and earnestness. Henderson and McElfatrick scored the other two goals. Only for some smart work by McCandless the score would probably have been greater.

Losing the toss, Ballymena played against the breeze, and Blair, who was early in action, ran out and kicked clear. Both Reid and McCandless did useful work in the next couple of minutes when Bangor threatened danger. A corner forced off Nelson brought more trouble, but the lines were cleared.

Shaw had a good run along the left wing, but was tripped, and from the free Reid skimmed the bar with a fine try. Bangor battled their way into the home end again, a well-concerted attack ending in Blair punching out a shot from Henderson.

A sparkling piece of combination between Shiels, Cassidy and Kilpatrick was rudely interrupted when Shiels was brought down. Reid took the resultant free and sent in a shot which sailed past the upright. At the opposite end McKinney centered in and McElfratrick flicked the ball over his head, but his direction was erratic.

Up to now end-to-end play had characterised the game, but for the next five mintues or so Ballymena carried out a series of attacks, none of which, however, bore fruit, Shiels pushed the ball back to Cassidy, who in turn gave to Nelson, and when the last named ballooned the ball up the middle, Shaw cut in and missed narrowly with a shot which he took in his stide.

Moore saved from Shiels and later from Shaw, and later Kimlin failed to connect a centre from Kilpatrick when he was put in possession a few yards out. It was now Bangor's turn, and off they went right merrily and called on Blair to make three saves in quick succession. The applause Blair got for his good work on these occasions must have been encouraging to him Presdee shot past from a free against Stewart.

Making headway again, Kilpatrick dropping in another deadly centre centre and Moore was fortunate to getting the way of Shaw's shot. Later Moore made a brilliant save from Kilpatrick, but at the end of twenty-five minutes had to acknowledge defeat when William Kimlin capped a good movement, started by Reid and participated in by Kilpatrick, by opening the scoring.

A goal down! This was inspiration to the Bangor men, who raced for goal, and McElfatrick, breaking through the defence, tested Blair, who in the next minute saved from Henderson at the expense of a fruitless corner. The visitors continued to attack stubbornly, and at last success crowned their efforts when Edward Pollock picked up a loose ball and fired a beautiful shot which beat Blair all the way.

Bangor were through again in the next minute when Henderson got away on a clear field, but he was stopped just in time by McCandless, whose good work was appreciated by the crowd. Further disaster befell Ballymena before the interval, Blair stopping a shot out of the danger zone, and Alistair McElfatrick, who was close by, scored an easy second goal for Bangor.

With the wind behind them, Ballymena attacked on the resumption and Shiels forced a corner. Shaw took the flag kick, and when the ball came out from a ruck of players Nelson shot in strongly, but Moore saved. Playing good crisp football, Bangor from now on began to overshadow their opponents. Further success came early in this half when McKinney crossed a good ball and R. Henderson nodded it through an untenanted goal. Blair having come out of his charge in an effort to get his hands at the ball.

Ballymena only attacked in fits and starts now. Beyond forced an occasional comer they were seldom dangerous. Once Shiels got in the way of a great shot from Cassidy, but he was offside at the time anyhow. Afterwards Bangor were really in dashing form. They worked together well had good ideas, and no one was surprised when Alistair McElfatrick accepted a pass and, slipping McCandless, ran through to score the visitors' fourth. Had Henderson been quick-witted enough they might have had a fitfth when McElfatrick shot across goal, but he missed a gift.

A free taken by Reid was saved by Moore at the expense of a corner, and following the flag-kick Reid headed in neatly, but the goalie was on the spot. Bangor had the game well won by this time, yet they did not slow up. A few of their forwards were often on the mark with well-taken shots, and towards the end several corners came their way. Ballymena played a disappointing game, their forwards being very unimpressive.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (30 January 1931)

Squad Statistics (as at January 24th, 1931)

1930-1931 All Time
Robin Blair (GK)22 4 - 4 -
Billy McCandless38 301301
John McNinch27 2511012
David Nelson27 222442
Robert Stewart24 291291
David Reid34 30 - 11111
Joseph Cassidy34 2777329
Thomas Kilpatrick35 141443
William Kimlin22 124144
Richard Shaw22 113398
Jamie Shiels21 1699781

League Table (as at January 24th, 1931)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Glentoran 25 22 2 1 46
2. Linfield 25 15 6 4 36
3. Belfast Celtic 25 15 4 6 34
4. Distillery 25 14 4 7 32
5. BALLYMENA 25 13 5 7 31
6. Ards 25 11 4 10 26
7. Derry City 25 10 3 12 23
8. Cliftonville 25 10 2 13 22
9. Portadown 25 7 5 13 19
10. Bangor 25 7 4 14 18
11. Larne 25 6 6 13 18
12. Glenavon 24 7 3 14 17
13. Coleraine 24 5 6 13 16
14. Newry 25 4 2 19 10