Ballymena 2
Bangor 0
Irish Cup (Quarter final replay)

2 - 0

Irish Cup (Quarter final replay)
Wednesday, January 14th, 1931
Ballymena Showgrounds
2:45 PM Kick-off

Richard Shaw (3)
Jamie Shiels (72)

Team Managers
Selection Committee
Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
James McKean
Billy McCandless
John McNinch
David Nelson
Robert Stewart
David Reid
Joseph Cassidy
Johnny Dalrymple
James Gilmour
Richard Shaw
Jamie Shiels
Samuel Moore
William Ellis
Joe Armstrong
Andrew Nicoll
Albert Presdee
James Maguire
Mal McKinney
Alistair McElfatrick
Edward Pollock
R. Henderson


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

A. Fogg (Bolton) (Referee)

Match Report

Though Ballymena got the better of Bangor in the Irish Cup replay by two goals to nil, there was nothing like that difference between the teams; in front, viewing the game as a whole, the Seasiders did not deserve to be that much in arrears at the finish.

To begin with, they played cup-tie football. Every player on the side was a first-timer, whereas Ballymena would persist in the usual methodical movements. These were quickly upset time and again by the hefty kicking of their opponents, who, for considerable periods in both the first and second halves, had distinctly the best of it.

Their forward line lacked thrust, however, and thus, coupled with line defensive play by McNinch and McCandless, assisted often by Reid and backed by brilliant goalkeeping on the part of McKean, rendered the Seasiders igneous as far as scoring was concerned.

At the same time, Ballymena did not impress, and if they are to reach the final they will have to employ more direct methods. The game never approached a very high standard at any time, especially during the second half, which was somewhat ragged, with Ballymena's tip-tapping methods showing in contrast to Bangor's first time efforts.

As already stated, McKeen, McNinch, McCandless and Reid were sterling in defence, and the last-named also did quite a lot of good constructive work. Nelson was not quite up to his usual, though he worked hard, as did also Stewart. Both Dalrymple and Cassidy have played better, and this left Shiels, Gilmour and Shaw the pick of the forwards. Shiels, in fact, was always a trier, and was a continual thorn in the side of the Bangor defence.

A big half-holiday crowd watched the replay of the Irish Cup match between Ballymena and Bangor at Ballymena on Wednesday afternoon, Bangor relied on the same team as did duty on Saturday, but Ballymena played Shaw vice Murphy, Shiels came on at centre, and Gilmour occupied the inside left position vice Howard, while Nelson came on at right half. Dalrymple taking Kilpatrick's place on the extreme right.

Ballymena, playing against the sun and a light breeze, were aggressive in the first minute, but Gilmour spoiled by getting offside. The homesters were soon back, and with only three minutes gone Dalrymple across from near the corner, and when Gilmour missed connecting, Richard Shaw got on and placed well out of Moore's reach for the opening point.

Bangor retaliated at once, and McElfatrick struck the crossbar with a rasper. Both sides were slinging the ball about freely, and the crowd was kept on the tip-toe of expectation with raids on either end. McKean smartly fielded two long punts, and then a free to the visitors well in the home end looked dangerous, but Presdee sent over. Another free against Reid almost on the penalty line was also sent past.

Ballymena were attacking when Gilmour unfortunately handled, and this spoiled a promising movement. The same player a moment later, however, missed by inches with a hard drive, Moore lying on his stomas as the ball shaved an upright on the wrong side.

Despite the occasional raids, Bangor were rather the more dangerous side making ground time and again by hefty kicking. McKean's charge was in danger when McElfatrick got through from a pass by Henderson, but Shiels was much nearer and should have scored in the next minute. He got clean through, and when within three yards of Moore sent out at the far post.

Ballymena forced a corner on resuming, but getting offside in the course of a melee they were seat to the rightabout. They were apparently bent on making the ball do the travelling with the breeze behind them, and were quickly back, with the result that the Seasiders' defence had a busy time of it.

Try as they would, however, the homesters could not get through and eventually their attacks petered out, and for quite a long spell Bangor put on considerable pressure. McNinch and McCandless backed by McKeen, and supported by Reid, were stalwarts in defence during this period.

Then Gilmour got away, and was brought down unfairly in the Bangor end, Reid forced Moore to concede a corner by tipping a pot at goal over the bar, but both this and another flag kick immediately afterwards were abortive.

Two frees to Bangor, one given away by Stewart and the other by Reid gave the Seasiders a footing in the home end. McCandless eventually cleared and Reid sent Gilmour and Shiels away again.

Moore got in the way of the former's effort at goal, but only at the expense of a corner. This was nicely placed by Shaw, and in the course of a melee, in which Reid was prominent, Jamie Shiels added a second goal. This was 27 minutes after the resumption, and although Bangor fought back spiritedly, and in the closing stages forced three corners in as many minutes, they could not better their position.

Match report written by Ballymena Weekly Telegraph (17 January 1931)

Squad Statistics (as at January 14th, 1931)

1930-1931 All Time
James McKean (GK)24 8 - 11 -
Billy McCandless38 271271
John McNinch27 231992
David Nelson27 192412
Robert Stewart24 261261
David Reid34 27 - 10811
Joseph Cassidy34 2467028
Johnny Dalrymple29 255497
James Gilmour28 914914
Richard Shaw22 93378
Jamie Shiels21 1389480

League Table (as at January 14th, 1931)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Glentoran 23 20 2 1 42
2. Distillery 23 14 4 5 32
3. Linfield 22 13 6 3 32
4. Belfast Celtic 23 14 4 5 32
5. BALLYMENA 22 12 5 5 29
6. Ards 22 10 2 10 22
7. Derry City 22 9 2 11 20
8. Cliftonville 23 9 2 12 20
9. Portadown 23 6 5 12 17
10. Glenavon 21 7 3 11 17
11. Larne 23 5 5 13 15
12. Coleraine 21 4 6 11 14
13. Bangor 22 4 4 14 12
14. Newry 22 3 2 17 8