Derry City 2
Ballymena 0
City Cup

Derry City 

2 - 0


City Cup
Tuesday, April 22nd, 1930
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gerry Stewart (43)
Gerry Stewart (70)

Team Managers
Joe McCleery Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
Albert McDonald
Bobby Hogg
Thomas Tighe
James Douglas
Ted Reed
Con Hilley
Robert Gunning
James Mitchell
Gerry Stewart
William Neil
Harold Senior
John Gough
John McNinch
Gordon McDairmid
Sidney Howard
David Reid
Hugh Gilmore
John Murphy
James O'Reilly
Thomas Kilpatrick
Johnny Dalrymple
Jamie Shiels


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

H. Hull (Burnley) (Referee)

Match Report

Despite Ballymena's bad display on Monday, a large contingent of supporters travelled with them by special train to the Maiden City on Tuesday. The weather again was on its best behaviour.

Derry City always draw a large home crowd, but on Tuesday the attendance was above the average, the Derry supporters being agog with excitement at the prospect of their favourites gaining their first victory over Ballymena.

Ballymena's team was the same as in the previous two matches, with the exception that Gilmore came on vice Bassnett, Dalrymple falling back to his accustomed position at right-half.

The team certainly worked more harmoniously together, but there was still a weakness in the line of attack. Gilmore seemed to be the only man who possessed shooting boots. Time and time again he drove in rasping shots which deserved goals, but something always happened to rob him of his ambition.

Early in the match he volleyed in a tremendous shot which had McDonald beaten all the way, but Hogg took the full force of the ball on his head when he was standing almost on the goal-line.

Gilmore struck an upright with another great try, and on other occasions he came perilously near scoring, McDonald having to push other shots from him over the bar.

Ballymena were the better team in the first half, keeping up an almost constant attack. O'Reilly was the weakest spot in the forward line. He was slow and ponderous, crude in tackling, and never seemed to know what to do with the ball when he got it.

Murphy on his left was nothing more than a spectator for along time, the ball never coming his way at all, play mostly veering to the right wing where Kilpatrick did a lot of good work and got across numerous well-placed centres.

In the pivot position Davy Reid did a great deal of useful work, and the backs played splendidly. A minute from the interval, Gerry Stewart gave Derry the lead, much against the run of play.

The second half favoured Derry, but Ballymena had much more of the play in his half than Derry had in the first, so that everything considered, a two-goal victory for Derry does not exactly represent the distribution of play.

Twenty minutes after the resumption Senior gave Gough such a hot handful that he dropped the ball, and before he could recover Gerry Stewart rushed in and placed the ball in the rigging.

No one could blame Gough for Ballymena's defeat, for throughout the match, especially in the second half, he gave an excellent display of goal-keeping.

McDonald was also tested in the second half by Gilmore, Murphy, Howard and Reid, but he kept his goal in tact.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (25 April 1930)

Squad Statistics (as at April 22nd, 1930)

1929-1930 All Time
John Gough (GK)34 38 - 82 -
Gordon McDairmid23 36 - 81 -
John McNinch26 31 - 721
Hugh Gilmore30 104236
David Reid33 3747910
Sidney Howard22 403764
Thomas Kilpatrick35 272272
James O'Reilly - 8181
Johnny Dalrymple28 201201
Jamie Shiels21 40287770
John Murphy32 29122912

League Table (as at April 22nd, 1930)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Linfield 26 19 4 3 42
2. Glentoran 26 16 4 6 36
3. Coleraine 26 14 4 8 32
4. Belfast Celtic 26 13 4 9 30
5. BALLYMENA 26 13 3 10 29
6. Bangor 26 12 5 9 29
7. Derry City 26 12 5 9 29
8. Glenavon 26 12 3 11 27
9. Distillery 26 12 3 11 27
10. Portadown 26 7 7 12 21
11. Newry 26 9 1 16 19
12. Ards 26 6 6 14 18
13. Larne 26 5 3 18 13
14. Cliftonville 26 5 2 19 12