Ballymena 8
Bangor 2
City Cup

8 - 2

City Cup
Saturday, May 4th, 1929
Ballymena Showgrounds
3:00 PM Kick-off

Joseph Cassidy 
Joseph Cassidy 
James Mitchell 
Jamie Shiels 
John Reid 
James McCambridge (20)
James Mitchell (21)
James McCambridge (24)
Watson (3)
Stewart (?)

Team Managers
Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
John Gough
Gordon McDiarmid
John McNinch
David Nelson
John Reid
David Reid
Jamie Shiels
Joseph Cassidy
James Mitchell
William Girvan
James McCambridge
George Arlow
[Mal] McKinney
[Herbie] Stewart
J. Gwynne


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

W. Boyd (Belfast) (Referee)

Match Report

Heavy thunder and a downpour of rain, which preceeded the meeting of Ballymena and Bangor at the Showgrounds on Saturday, militated against the attendance, which was not so large as usual. The home side had out Girvan, their new recruit from Newington Rangers, at outside right, vice Clarke, and Nelson replaced Howard at left half. Bangor fielded their strongest side.

Bangor won the toss, and although Ballymena were the first to attack, Girvan spoiled by getting offside. The seasiders came away, and Arlow sent into the home goal, where D. Reid slipped in trying to interrupt, and although Gough came out he too went down, leaving Watson to send through an empty goal three minutes from the start.

Ballymena were having much of the best of it in the subsequent play, and after Cassidy had given Steenson an anxious moments Shiels placed well and pungent lob on the top of the goal net.

The next incident was a great full-length save by Steenson from McCambridge, and then Arlow went away and fired high over the bar. Ballymena forced a corner at the other, and Girvan, who was playing a great game placed nicely for McCambridge to score the equaliser twenty minutes from the start, and barely a minute later Girvan sent across again for Mitchell to turn the ball sufficiently for it to cannon off the upright into the net for a second.

In three minutes more McCambridge secured from Cassidy, and after making ground, sent in a long dropping shot which Steenson misjudged, and it passed over his finger-tips for the third. This lead was not long held, however, for following a faulty clearance by McDiarmid, Stewart shot hard from 20 yards' range, and beat Gough all the way.

Steenson was next seen saving well from Mitchell and Shiels, and then in the course of a brief melee Shiels breasted through a fourth. This movement started with Cassidy, who with Girvan, gave Ballymena a big advantage on the extreme wings. Two corners to the home side were not improved on, and the interval arrived with the scores standing - Ballymena 4, Bangor 2.

Steenson was the first to handle in the opening minutes of the second half, and then Gough was quickly in action at the other end saving a high shot from McKinney at the expense of an abortive corner. Girvan looked all over the score when Weir deflected the ball at the expense of a corner which was not improved on. Except for these incidents play was of a quiet nature and there was little enthusiasm about until Steenson had to save a hot shot from Cassidy.

The ball kept bobbing about ominously around Steenson, who was warmly applauded for clearly when down on one knee. In the course of a fierce melee Mitchell put the ball into the net for Ballymena. The referee awarded the goal, but the point was hotly disputed by Bangor.

After consulting one of the linesmen the referee adhered to his decision and the game proceeded though at amore lively pace, fouls being frequent and the visitors more aggressive in this respect.

This brought its own punishment for Bangor were penalised for an offence against McCambridge, and D. Reid placed nicely for John Reid to head through the sixth. Further heat brought a caution from the referee to some of the Bangor players.

Following a long pass down the centre Shiels got going and on being pushed off the ball by Weir, Cassidy took it in his stride and gave Steenson no chance. In the closing stages play was rarely out of the vicinity of the Bangor 'keeper, and McCann headed to Cassidy, who added another.

Match report written by Ballymena Weekly Telegraph (11 May 1929)

Squad Statistics (as at May 4th, 1929)

1928-1929 All Time
John Gough (GK)33 42 - 42 -
John McNinch25 391391
David Nelson26 7 - 7 -
Gordon McDiarmid22 43 - 43 -
David Reid33 406406
John Reid30 373373
William Girvan19 1 - 1 -
James Mitchell25 35203520
James McCambridge23 42294229
Jamie Shiels20 35413541
Joseph Cassidy32 156156

League Table (as at May 4th, 1929)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Belfast Celtic 26 22 4 0 48
2. Linfield 26 19 1 6 39
3. Glentoran 26 15 3 8 33
4. Coleraine 26 13 4 9 30
5. Distillery 26 14 2 10 30
6. BALLYMENA 26 10 8 8 28
7. Bangor 26 10 6 10 26
8. Ards 26 10 5 11 25
9. Glenavon 26 8 8 10 24
10. Newry 26 9 4 13 22
11. Portadown 26 10 2 14 22
12. Larne 26 8 4 14 20
13. Cliftonville 26 3 4 19 10
14. Queens Island 26 2 3 21 7