Ballymena 7
Queens Island 3
League (Irish League)

7 - 3
Queens Island 

League (Irish League)
Saturday, November 10th, 1928
Ballymena Showgrounds
2:45 PM Kick-off

Jamie Shiels 
Jamie Shiels 
Jamie Shiels 
James Mitchell 
Jamie Shiels (11)
Jamie Shiels (25)
David Reid (47)
Joseph Sayers
Joseph Sayers
J. Burns

Team Managers
Selection Committee
Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
John Gough
Gordon McDiarmid
John McNinch
David Reid
John Reid
Hugh Gilmore
James McCambridge
Jamie Shiels
Walter Clarke
David Cunning
James Mitchell
W. Boyd
Robert Thompson
W. McBride
David Lyner
Sam Montgomery
Joseph Sayers
J. Burns


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

T. Liggett (Belfast) (Referee)

Match Report

Queen's Island went down heavily before Ballymena on Saturday at the Show Grounds, the locals winning easily by the greatest goal margin in their short career - 7-3.

The pitch was not at its best, being slippery owing to recent rains, but while overhead conditions were fairly good, a boisterous breeze blew along the field towards the Slemish goal.

The spin of the coin favoured the Islanders, who took advantage of the breeze. In the first minute the Ballymena forwards swarmed round the opposing goal, and only good goalkeeping by Boyd kept them out. Returning to the attack, the homesters brough further pressure to bear on the defence, and in a moment of danger Thompson conceded a corner, but the ball was cleared. Gough was tested at the other end by Montgomery, and then Shiels gave to Cunning, for the latter to beat McKeveney and shoot behind. The next Ballymena attack was spoiled by Gilmore being offside.

The homesters continued to show their superiority, and Jamie Shiels, getting away from a pass from J. Reid, ran through between the backs and left Boyd guessing with a grand shot which landed the ball in the back of the net, the game at this stage being only eleven minutes old. The Island retaliated with a counter attack, and Burns gave Gough a nice shot to stop. A corner to the visitors brought danger, but Gilmore cleared to Clarke, but the latter's centre was too far ahead for the forwards and allowed Boyd to handle first. Cunning took the ball along the wing, after overcoming all opposition sent across a fast drive which skimmed the bar. Following a corner to Queen's Island, a melee ensued in front of goal, in which the ball eventually came out to Joseph Sayers, who equalised.

Coming away again, the Island forwards made ground, and Burns centred for Ferguson to test Gough with a pile-driver. The home goalie was called on again to save, this time from Lyner. D. Reid initiated a nice movement in midfield, passing to Gilmore, who in turn gave to Clarke, the latter crossing in beautifully for James Mitchell to head through for Ballymena's second goal. A corner forced by Gilmore was taken by Clarke, but McCambridge sent behind.

Then Ballymena raced for goal, and Clarke centred in from the wing for Jamie Shiels to head in another goal. This had the effect of spurring the Islanders to increased efforts, and Burns essayed a high shot which Gough held well. Good play on the home left saw Cunning away again, and he crossed in for Shiels to head over. Then Cunning walked through the defence, but hesitatition spoiled a good opening. Gough was again tested by Lyner, and then Cunning had a fast run for goal, but ran the ball right past. The Island goal had a further escape when from Clarke's centre Shiels headed the ball to Mitchell, who struck the upright.

In a tussle in front of the home goal the visitors were awarded a penalty taken by McBride, but Gough used good judgement and saved a fast shot with apparent ease. Another shot from Cunning near the interval grazed the bar. On the resumption of play, Clarke ran the ball right past. Then Shiels got away and was going well when he was brought down heavily just outside the penalty line. David Reid took the resultant free and landed the ball neatly in the net for a further score.

A try from Gilmore was effectively stopped by Boyd. Then Lyner got away and sent across for J. Burns to reduce the lead, after Gough had fisted out a previous try. The homesters gained the upper hand again and made plenty of attacks, but offside spoiled many movements. Clarke forced a corner and Boyd saved, but he was hustled by Shiels and dropped the ball, which eventually went to touch. D. Reid gave Jamie Shiels another opening and the latter, racing past the backs, hit the ball against Boyd, but on the rebound scored Ballymena's fifth.

Hardly was the ball in motion again when Jamie Shiels, like the wonder-worker he is, beat everything in front of him and piled on the sixth. Cunning had a rare opportunity to increase the lead, but shot into the goalie's arms.

A fast attack by the Island found the home defence napping, and Joseph Sayers capped a fine combined run by beating Gough with a low shot. After several shots from Gilmore had been saved. Jamie Shiels accepted a centre from McNinch and volleyed in a hard left-foot drive from 30 yards' range, which beat Boyd all the way. It was certainly the finest goal of the match. A free to the Island near the home goal was saved by Gough.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (16 November 1928)

Squad Statistics (as at November 10th, 1928)

1928-1929 All Time
John Gough (GK)32 11 - 11 -
Gordon McDiarmid21 13 - 13 -
John McNinch25 13 - 13 -
Hugh Gilmore29 1 - 1 -
David Reid32 132132
John Reid30 132132
James Mitchell25 132132
James McCambridge23 138138
Walter Clarke30 1 - 1 -
David Cunning35 6161
Jamie Shiels19 13161316

League Table (as at November 10th, 1928)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Belfast Celtic 12 11 1 0 23
2. Linfield 12 8 1 3 17
3. BALLYMENA 12 5 6 1 16
4. Coleraine 11 6 2 3 14
5. Portadown 12 6 1 5 13
6. Distillery 11 5 2 4 12
7. Glentoran 11 5 2 4 12
8. Larne 12 5 2 5 12
9. Glenavon 12 4 3 5 11
10. Newry 12 3 4 5 10
11. Bangor 12 4 2 6 10
12. Ards 11 2 3 6 7
13. Cliftonville 12 1 2 9 4
14. Queens Island 12 1 1 10 3