Ballinamallard United 2
Ballymena United 3
League Cup (Semi final)

Ballinamallard Utd 

2 - 3

Ballymena United

League Cup (Semi final)
Tuesday, December 16th, 2014
Ferney Park
8:00 PM Kick-off

Ryan Campbell (20)
Ryan Campbell (67)
Allan Jenkins (45)
Matthew Tipton (59)
David Munster (87)

Team Managers
Whitey Anderson Glenn Ferguson

Starting Eleven
Stefan McCusker
Liam McMenamin
Mark Stafford
Jake Dykes
Jonathan Lafferty
Liam Martin
Stuart Hutchinson
Jason McCartney
John Currie
Christopher Crilly
Ryan Campbell
Stuart Addis
Mark Surgenor
Jonathan Taylor
Tony Kane .2
Stephen McBride
David Munster
Allan Jenkins .10
Alan Teggart
Neal Gawley
Matthew Tipton
Darren Henderson

Raymond Foy
Fergal Murphy
James McKenna
Kane Connor
Steve Feeney
Dwayne Nelson
Michael Ruddy
Mark McCullagh
Matthew Ferguson
Eoin Kane

Raymond Foy for John Currie (75) Mark McCullagh for Neal Gawley (82)

Jonathan Lafferty (10)
Mark Stafford (52)
Liam McMenamin (76)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Raymond Hetherington (Referee)

Match Report

BALLYMENA United progressed to their first ever WASP Solutions League Cup final on Tuesday evening courtesy of a 3-2 victory over Ballinamallard United at Ferney Park.

It was the hosts who started the brightest, putting the Sky Blues under a spell of early pressure which paid dividends on 20 minutes when Ballinamallard forward Ryan Campbell turned on the edge of the box and unleashed a powerful effort into the bottom corner beyond the reach of the outstretched Stuart Addis in the United goal. This early lead was no more than the Mallards deserved and they could have doubled their advantage soon after only for Lee Martin's effort to flash just wide of the goal with Stuart Addis beaten.

The large travelling Sky Blue contingent were getting restless as what appeared to be a dismal opening period drew to a close only for captain Allan Jenkins to get his side back on level terms with the last kick of the ball in the first half. Mallards goalkeeper Stefan McCusker was equal to Matthew Tipton's initial effort but could only parry the ball into the path of Jenkins who rifled home, turning the game in the process.

United reappeared for the second half totally revitalised and intent on winning the game. Matthew Tipton deservedly gave the Sky Blues the lead on the hour mark after a mad goalmouth scramble in which Stefan McCusker denied efforts from Darren Boyce and Tipton before the latter finally forced the ball over the line to complete the turnaround in the scoreline.

The visitors couldn't hold onto their lead however as just eight minutes later, in what seemed like their first attack of the second half, the Mallard drew level with Ryan Campbell again getting on the scoresheet with a composed finish after a neat team move. This did not deter the Sky Blues who responded with further pressure on the Mallards goal, first Darren Boyce was denied after clever link up play with Matthew Tipton before late drama ensued as with just two minutes left on the clock, defender David Munster fired home from Neal Gawley's free kick to send the travelling support into raptures and United into their first ever League Cup final.

Match report written by Jordan Miller

Squad Statistics (as at December 16th, 2014)

2014-2015 All Time
Stuart Addis (GK)35 3 - 37 -
Jonathan Taylor26 2139010
Stephen McBride31 20 - 40 -
David Munster35 1511167
Mark Surgenor28 17217619
Tony Kane27 2121318
Alan Teggart28 24414527
Allan Jenkins33 24714027
Neal Gawley28 232343
Darren Henderson28 2654212
Matthew Tipton34 28112811
Mark McCullagh (sub)27 19 - 61 -

League Table (as at December 16th, 2014)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Linfield 21 13 4 4 43
2. Cliftonville 21 12 6 3 42
3. Portadown 21 13 3 5 42
4. Crusaders 21 11 6 4 39
5. Glentoran 21 9 6 6 33
6. Glenavon 21 9 3 9 30
7. Coleraine 21 9 3 9 30
8. BALLYMENA UTD 21 6 5 10 23
9. Ballinamallard Utd 21 5 4 12 19
10. Institute 21 4 7 10 19
11. Dungannon Swifts 21 3 7 11 16
12. Warrenpoint Town 21 3 4 14 13