Warrenpoint Town 2
Ballymena United 2
League (NIFL Premiership)

Warrenpoint Town 

2 - 2

Ballymena United

League (NIFL Premiership)
Saturday, November 15th, 2014
Attendance: 170
3:00 PM Kick-off

Daniel Hughes (34)
Daniel Hughes (82)
Matthew Tipton (48)
Matthew Tipton (63)

Team Managers
Barry Gray Glenn Ferguson

Starting Eleven
Jonathan Parr
Darren King
Liam Bagnall
Dermot McVeigh
Stephen Moan
John Boyle
Jonathan Cowan
Ruairi Devlin
Daniel Hughes
Timothy Grant
Ciaran O'Connor
Dwayne Nelson
Tony Kane .2
Michael Ruddy
Aaron Stewart .6
Mark Surgenor
Neal Gawley
Allan Jenkins .10
Brian McCaul
Gary Thompson
Darren Henderson
Matthew Tipton

Stephen Hughes
Stephen McCabe
Padraig Smith
Mark Hughes
Martin Havern
Mark McCullagh
David Munster
Alan Davidson .4
Matthew Ferguson
Eoin Kane

Stephen Hughes for Ciaran O'Connor (62)
Stephen McCabe for Timothy Grant (72)
Mark McCullagh for Aaron Stewart (46)
Matthew Ferguson for Brian McCaul (46)
Alan Davidson for Gary Thompson (65)

Timothy Grant (15)
Stephen Hughes (90)
Brian McCaul (24)
Michael Ruddy (45)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Evan Boyce (Referee)

Match Report

BALLYMENA United came away with a draw after an interrupted game today, both goals coming from Matthew Tipton.

The Sky Blues came out strong in the early stages of the first half, but were brought to a halt when Mark Surgenor needed treatment on a nose injury after an attempt on goal.

The rain got heavier as the half went on and the pitch appeared to be cutting up, Gary Thompson losing possession and Warrenpoint winning a corner, which they failed to take advantage off. The home side continued to pressurise and had a penalty shout turned down after Mark Surgenor had been involved in a tangle with an opposition player.

A few chances followed for United as they came into the game a bit more, Surgenor just wide from a cross, and Jenkins having a 6-yard chance blocked. The 32nd minute of the game brought a fantastic opportunity after Tony Kane put Mark Surgenor down the right, Mark in turn firing a cross in to Tipton who had his shot deflected over the bar.

Soon after Warrenpoint were ahead when Daniel Hughes beat the offside trap and run through to slot the ball past Dwayne for the opening goal of the game.

The visitors started to come back into the game, a low shot from Neal Gawley testing the defence and Matthew Tipton almost getting between the ball and the keeper after a short back pass. A few minutes later and it was Matthew Tipton setting up the ball for Gary Thompson, but his drilled shot was parried away by Parr. The last chance of the first half fell to Darren Boyce, who had his shot deflected wide of the goal before Aaron Stewart had to leave the pitch with a suspected dislocated shoulder. Worryingly, Brian McCaul left the pitch on a stretcher with an apparent leg injury.
Aaron Stewart and Brian McCaul were replaced in the break by Matthew Ferguson and Mark McCullagh, and things certainly brightened up as Gawley received the ball from Boyce who put it through to Matthew Tipton who sent it home at the back post.

It was getting very overcast and, with no sign of the floodlights coming on, it was a struggle to see the far end of the pitch, and it was impossible to make out the player numbers!
Referee Evan Boyce brought both managers together and had a short discussion, before all parties agreed to play on.

Shortly afterwards Neal Gawley sent a cross into the box, with Boyce heading it to Tipton who knocked it in to put the Sky Blues ahead. Serious concern was starting to creep in that the game wouldn't be played to a finish, as the sky only grew darker, and Alan Davidson came on to replace Gary Thompson.

It wasn't long before both both teams left the pitch, the referee deeming it too dark to continue and asking for the floodlights to be switched on. Around 5 minutes later the lights were on, and within about 15 minutes the teams took to the pitch to get the game back underway.

In the 81st minute Warrenpoint Town headed home from a cross to equalise before Tipton had a chance but shot straight at the keeper. The home side continued to have the better of the play, hitting the post from a long shot and forcing Dwayne Nelson into a low save, but the match ended in a draw.

Match report written by Paul Irwin

Squad Statistics (as at November 15th, 2014)

2014-2015 All Time
Dwayne Nelson (GK)30 23 - 199 -
Tony Kane27 1621268
Michael Ruddy21 131602
Aaron Stewart24 14 - 2226
Mark Surgenor28 12 - 17117
Neal Gawley28 182293
Allan Jenkins33 19513525
Brian McCaul24 7 - 7 -
Gary Thompson24 1329213
Darren Henderson28 2153712
Matthew Tipton34 239239
Mark McCullagh (sub)27 16 - 58 -
Matthew Ferguson (sub)18 1 - 2 -
Alan Davidson (sub)26 8 - 7410

League Table (as at November 15th, 2014)

Pld W D L Pts
1. Portadown 17 10 3 4 33
2. Cliftonville 17 9 6 2 33
3. Crusaders 17 9 5 3 32
4. Linfield 17 9 4 4 31
5. Glenavon 17 9 2 6 29
6. Glentoran 17 6 6 5 24
7. Coleraine 17 7 3 7 24
8. BALLYMENA UTD 17 5 5 7 20
9. Institute 17 4 5 8 17
10. Ballinamallard Utd 17 4 4 9 16
11. Dungannon 17 2 6 9 12
12. Warrenpoint Town 17 2 3 12 9