Ballymena United 1 - 1 Carrick Rangers

Ulster Cup - Group Stage
Saturday, August 10th, 2002, 3:00 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: Alan Snoddy (Carryduff)
Ballymena United  Carrick Rangers

Peter Withnell (57)
Keith Dallas (87)

Team Managers
Kenny Shiels
Alan Campbell

Starting Eleven
David Henry
Alfie Stewart
David McAlinden
Mark Carlisle
Richard Culbertson
Joe Gray
Oran Kearney
Trevor McLernon
Trevor McMullan
Peter Withnell
Shea Campbell
Liam Hartley
Gary McKee
Adam Hamilton
Paul Bradley
Keith Dallas
Glen Taggart
Noel Dean
Eric Faulkner
Gavin McCrystal
Billy Waide
Graeme Arthur

Gareth Kearney
Conall Murtagh
Gareth McLaughlin
Wayne Patterson
Declan McGreevy
Neil McConnell

Gareth McLaughlin for Trevor McLernon (74)
Wayne Patterson for Eric Faulkner (62)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
David Henry (GK) 1 app (debut) -
David McAlinden 36 apps3 goals
Mark Carlisle 401 apps2 goals
Richard Culbertson 30 apps3 goals
Alfie Stewart 1 app (debut) -
Trevor McLernon 44 apps7 goals
Trevor McMullan 45 apps7 goals
Joe Gray 1 app (debut) -
Oran Kearney 1 app (debut) -
Peter Withnell 31 apps17 goals
Shea Campbell 55 apps16 goals
Gareth McLaughlin (sub) 8 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:David McAlinden (18 years 321 days)
Oldest Player:Alfie Stewart (37 years 307 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 1 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Conall Murtagh (17 years 46 days)
Oldest Player:Alfie Stewart (37 years 307 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 196 days
Domestic Players:14 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

In the end the draw was probably a fair outcome from this game which at times resembled a pre-season friendly rather than the start of competitive action.

Carrick almost opened the scoring on 28 minutes when Keith Dallas lobbed United keeper David Henry from his own half only for the ball to trickle past the upright.

However, it was Shea Campbell who came closest to breaking the deadlock with a weak left foot shot which rolled past Liam Hartley but came back off the post.

Campbell threatened again on the stroke of half-time when he reacted first to a Trevor McLernon cross only to be denied by Hartley.

Peter Withnell eventually broke the deadlock for United on 57 minutes.

After this Carrick stepped up a gear and pushed for the equaliser coming close on 71 minutes when Wayne Patterson fired just wide.

However, they did deservedly level three minutes from time when Keith Dallas rose highest to meet a Billy Waide free-kick to head past David Henry.

Match report written by Official Ballymena United website

<< Previous Match Next Match >>