Ballymena United 1 - 1 (Lisburn) Distillery

League Cup - Group Stage
Tuesday, September 21st, 2004, 7:30 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: John McKnight (Ballyclare)
Ballymena United  (Lisburn) Distillery

Rory Hamill (12)
Darren Armour (18)

Team Managers
Kenny Shiels
Paul Kirk

Starting Eleven
Robert Robinson
Albert Watson
Ciaran Donaghy
Gary Smyth
Nigel Boyd
Jamie Marks
Oran Kearney
Tim McCann
Justin McBride
Rory Hamill
Shea Campbell
Michael Dougherty
Paul Prenter
Michael Ferguson
Noel Anderson
Wayne Buchanan
Paul Muir
Andrew Dickson
Conor Hagan
Darren Armour
James Willis
Francis Murphy

Gordon Simms
Garth Scates
Eddie Hill
Tim Mouncey
Gareth McKeown
Andrew Cleary

Eddie Hill for Shea Campbell (64)
Garth Scates for Tim McCann (75)
Tim Mouncey for James Willis (68)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Robert Robinson (GK) 51 apps -
Ciaran Donaghy 45 apps -
Gary Smyth 8 apps -
Albert Watson 64 apps -
Nigel Boyd 314 apps21 goals
Tim McCann 6 apps -
Oran Kearney 87 apps27 goals
Jamie Marks 27 apps2 goals
Rory Hamill 6 apps5 goals
Justin McBride 34 apps6 goals
Shea Campbell 137 apps69 goals
Garth Scates (sub) 22 apps3 goals
Eddie Hill (sub) 6 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Albert Watson (19 years 18 days)
Oldest Player:Gary Smyth (34 years 284 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 83 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Albert Watson (19 years 18 days)
Oldest Player:Gary Smyth (34 years 284 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 206 days
Domestic Players:14 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

BALLYMENA United secured the point they required to reach the quarter-finals of the CIS Insurance Cup from this draw with group winners Lisburn Distillery.

However for the sixth consecutive game Kenny Shiels' side opened the scoring but once again failed to hold onto their lead.

Unsurprisingly it was Rory Hamill who fired them in front when, after 13 minutes, he beat Michael Doherty from 14 yards after a Gary Smyth wasn't properly cleared.

However the Whites levelled five minutes later. Francis Murphy darted down the left wing, squaring the ball for James Willis who struck the post with his effort but Darren Armour was on hand to scramble home the rebound.

And Armour should have given the visitors the lead two minutes before the break only to fire a Conor Hagan cross over with the goal at his mercy.

Then, not long into the second half, Noel Anderson came closer still with a mis-hit cross which hit the woodwork. United came within inches of moving in front themselves soon after when Smyth fired a set piece narrowly over.

Smyth also had the only other noteworthy chance in an uninspiring second half when, six minutes from time, he nodded an Oran Kearney free-kick over.

Match report written by Official Irish Premier League website

<< Previous Match Next Match >>