Ballymena United 1 - 0 Portadown

League Cup - Group Stage
Thursday, August 31st, 2006, 7:45 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: David Best (Carnmoney)
Ballymena United  Portadown

Lee Patrick (83)

Team Managers
Tommy Wright
Ronnie McFall

Starting Eleven
Paul Murphy
Albert Watson
Darren Murphy
Gordon Simms
Nigel Boyd
Garth Scates
Gary Haveron
Lee Patrick
Austin Friel
Kevin Kelbie
Paul Brown
Michael Dougherty
Henry McStay
Keith O'Hara
Richard Clarke
John Convery
Barry Hunter
Gary McCutcheon
Peter Kennedy
Marc McCann
Gary Liggett
Jamie Marks

Craig McClean
Mark Picking
Darren Fitzgerald
Aaron Baker
Dean Youle
Michael Collins

Darren Fitzgerald for Paul Brown (63)
Mark Picking for Austin Friel (63)
Craig McClean for Nigel Boyd (84)
Michael Collins for Jamie Marks (66)
Aaron Baker for Gary Liggett (70)
Dean Youle for Aaron Baker (78)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. Michael Dougherty (90)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Paul Murphy (GK) 4 apps -
Darren Murphy 2 apps -
Nigel Boyd 358 apps22 goals
Gordon Simms 67 apps5 goals
Albert Watson 139 apps4 goals
Lee Patrick 27 apps3 goals
Garth Scates 95 apps6 goals
Gary Haveron 47 apps4 goals
Kevin Kelbie 35 apps17 goals
Paul Brown 13 apps2 goals
Austin Friel 4 apps -
Craig McClean (sub) 36 apps -
Mark Picking (sub) 3 apps -
Darren Fitzgerald (sub) 14 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Albert Watson (20 years 362 days)
Oldest Player:Nigel Boyd (33 years 79 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 29 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Albert Watson (20 years 362 days)
Oldest Player:Nigel Boyd (33 years 79 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 91 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

BALLYMENA United gave themselves renewed hope of qualifying for the knockout stages of the CIS Cup with a 1-0 home win over Portadown tonight.

Lee Patrick's goal seven minutes from the end settled a poor game in the home side's favour.

But the game will be overshadowed by disgraceful scenes which marred the final minutes.

Firstly, Portadown goalkeeper Michael Dougherty was sent off by referee David Best after pushing over a ball boy onto the stock car track.

And as the teams came off the pitch, Ballymena assistant manager Jim Grattan appeared to be struck in a fracas which continued up the tunnel.

It was an unseemly end to a match which Ballymena had to win to stay in the competition and manager Tommy Wright was delighted with the victory.

"It's great to finally get a win on the board and the whole group is back in the melting pot now," said Wright.

The first 80 minutes of the match won't live long in the memory with clear-cut chances in short supply.

After a first half which failed to yield even one decent opening, Portadown came close to breaking the deadlock on 48 minutes when midfielder Richard Clarke burst into the box but his fiercely-struck shot was turned over by Paul Murphy.

The game appeared to be heading for a scoreless stalemate until United struck in the 83rd minute. Kevin Kelbie made strides down the left flank to the bye-line and cut the ball back for Lee Patrick to volley home from six yards.

Match report written by Official Ballymena United website

<< Previous Match Next Match >>