Ballymena United 2 - 3 Coleraine

Irish Cup - Round 6
Saturday, February 9th, 2013, 3:00 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: David Malcolm (Bangor)
Ballymena United  Coleraine

Gavin Taggart (12)
Gary Liggett (88)

Team Managers
Glenn Ferguson
Oran Kearney

Starting Eleven
Dwayne Nelson
Christopher Rodgers
Michael Ruddy
Shaun Maher
Tony Kane
Alan Teggart
Allan Jenkins
Gary Thompson
Gavin Taggart
Gary Liggett
Shane Dolan

David Munster
Mark Surgenor
Richard Vauls
Alan Davidson
Neil Lowry

Neil Lowry for Shane Dolan (73)
Alan Davidson for Gavin Taggart (80)
Mark Surgenor for Michael Ruddy (85)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dwayne Nelson (GK) 147 apps -
Tony Kane 59 apps4 goals
Shaun Maher 2 apps -
Christopher Rodgers 41 apps2 goals
Michael Ruddy 12 apps -
Gavin Taggart 110 apps5 goals
Alan Teggart 70 apps14 goals
Gary Thompson 32 apps5 goals
Allan Jenkins 63 apps11 goals
Gary Liggett 6 apps1 goal
Shane Dolan 5 apps2 goals
Mark Surgenor (sub) 127 apps14 goals
Alan Davidson (sub) 29 apps7 goals
Neil Lowry (sub) 30 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Michael Ruddy (19 years 193 days)
Oldest Player:Shaun Maher (34 years 253 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 108 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Neil Lowry (19 years 189 days)
Oldest Player:Shaun Maher (34 years 253 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 28 days
Domestic Players:12 (75.00 % of matchday squad)

A LAST minute winner from David Scullion broke Sky Blue hearts at the Showgrounds on Saturday moments after United had thought they had earned a replay through a Gary Liggett header.

In truth, a replay would have been a fortuitous reward for a United side outplayed by Coleraine for the umpteenth time in recent seasons. Ballymena actually took the lead in a 'derby' for the first time in over two years on 12 minutes when Gavin Taggart's speculative effort was misjudged by visiting goalkeeper Michael Doherty and nestled in the back of the net to rapturous applause from the home support.

Instead of pushing on and seek to extend their lead, United rested on their laurels and paid a dear price just nine minutes later when Curtis Allen nodded home Ryan McIlmoyle's tempting cross to draw the away side level.

Allan Jenkins almost put the Sky Blues back in front just after the half hour mark but the big Scot's powerful drive flew just over the bar. Coleraine had a decent shout for a penalty turned down on the stroke of half time after Ryan McIlmoyle's cross appeared to strike Chris Rodgers' hand, but referee David Malcolm waved played on to the disbelief of the away support.

Coleraine emerged the stronger side after the break and took the lead for the first time on 65 minutes via an unfortunate own goal from Shaun Maher. Ruairi Harkin fed Steven Lowry whose low cross was deflected into the goal by the unfortunate United defender.

The visitors could have made it three on 87 minutes but the impressive David Scullion elected to chip Dwayne Nelson rather than square the ball to a team mate, blowing a huge opportunity in the process. United immediately made Coleraine pay for their profligacy when Gary Liggett rose to head home substitute Neil Lowry's cross sending the home support into a state of ecstasy.

United had thought they had earned a rematch at Ballycastle Road, but as is so often the case in football, late drama alters the outcome of the match. Coleraine earned a corner, Ruairi Harkin delivered into the box, David Ogilby knocked it down to David Scullion who tapped it past Dwayne Nelson and atone for his miss minutes earlier. The away supporters were overjoyed and their vociferous celebrations were a knife to the heart to United and their own noisy support.

Match report written by Jordan Miller

<< Previous Match Next Match >>