Ballymena United 1 - 0 Harland and Wolff Welders

Irish Cup - Round 5 replay
Tuesday, January 21st, 2014, 7:45 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: Ross Dunlop
Ballymena United  Harland and Wolff Welders

Gary Thompson (75)

Team Managers
Glenn Ferguson
Gary Smyth

Starting Eleven
Aaron Shanahan
Aaron Stewart
Jim Ervin
Mark McCullagh
Mark Surgenor
Michael Ruddy
Alan Teggart
Allan Jenkins
Gary Thompson
Darren Henderson
David Cushley
Lee Windrum
Gareth Beattie
William Armstrong
Scott Davidson
Daniel McMurray
Craig Harris
Paul Dickson
Mark Magennis
Matthew Burrows
Joshua Cahoon
Stephen Cockcroft

Stephen McBride
Alan Davidson
Thomas Robinson
Michael McLellan
Neil Lowry
Samuel Devine
Ryan Deans
Christopher Middleton
Michael Dougherty

Michael McLellan for Alan Teggart (72)
Stephen McBride for Michael Ruddy (88)
Samuel Devine for Mark Magennis (79)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Aaron Shanahan (GK) 2 apps -
Mark McCullagh 34 apps -
Michael Ruddy 42 apps1 goal
Jim Ervin 4 apps1 goal
Aaron Stewart 197 apps6 goals
Mark Surgenor 152 apps17 goals
Allan Jenkins 103 apps18 goals
Alan Teggart 109 apps21 goals
Gary Thompson 71 apps11 goals
David Cushley 149 apps35 goals
Darren Henderson 4 apps2 goals
Stephen McBride (sub) 8 apps -
Michael McLellan (sub) 16 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Michael Ruddy (20 years 174 days)
Oldest Player:Allan Jenkins (32 years 114 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 251 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Neil Lowry (20 years 170 days)
Oldest Player:Allan Jenkins (32 years 114 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 282 days
Domestic Players:13 (81.25 % of matchday squad)

A SECOND half strike from Gary Thompson sent Ballymena United through to the sixth round of the Irish Cup after a scrappy game at the Showgrounds.

The first half was something of a non-event, with neither side coming remotely close to breaking the deadlock, except for a curling effort from Welders striker Stephen Cockcroft. United's first effort on goal didn't arrive until 56 minutes, when Lee Windrum punched away a powerful free kick from David Cushley.

The hosts began to step up the pressure on 65 minutes when Ally Teggart crossed for Mark McCullagh only for the centre back to strike the bar with a header from point blank range. Seconds later Teggart was through on goal after being played through by Gary Thompson but the winger scuffed his effort wide when primed to score. In a good spell for Ballymena, David Cushley then almost broke the deadlock with a stunning effort form 30 yards which flew just yards past Welders goalkeeper Lee Windrum's far post.

Eventually the pressure told and on 75 minutes the hosts finally took the lead. A diagonal run across the pitch from substitute Michael McLellan began a flowing team move which eventually resulted in Gary Thompson finding himself clear on goal and duly slotting past Windrum to the palpable relief of the home support.

United had a number of late opportunities to add some gloss to the scoreline. First Michael McLellan attempted an audacious chip from all of 20 yards which nestled just high of the cross bar before Darren Boyce blasted wide when through on goal. A late header from Allan Jenkins was directed straight at the Welders goalkeeper but in the end it mattered little as the final whistle blew to send the Sky Blues through. A sixth round meeting with Linfield at Windsor Park awaits Glenn Ferguson's side who will have to perform noticeably better if they harbour any hopes of making the quarter finals.

Match report written by Jordan Miller

<< Previous Match Next Match >>