Ballymena 0 - 2 Bangor

City Cup Match
Saturday, May 10th, 1930, 3:00 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: S. Thompson
Ballymena  Bangor

None. Viney (5)
William Salisbury (32)

Team Managers
Selection Committee
Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
James McKean
Alfred Basnett
Gordon McDairmid
John McNinch
Hugh Gilmore
Sidney Howard
Jamie Shiels
John Murphy
Jonathan Dalrymple
Marcus Armstrong
Thomas Kilpatrick

Ballymena fared badly in the last home match of the season when they met Bangor last Saturday at the Showgrounds, the visitors carrying off both points in what was a very dull game indeed.

Played in splendid weather the match attracted only a moderate attendance.

Bangor raided early and McKeen was in action in the first minute. Play travelled quickly to the other end where Shiels headed over from Kilpatrick's centre.

Disaster overtook Ballymena inside the first five minutes when Levett, from a free given against McNinch, placed the ball for Viney to steer it past McKeen for the opening goal. It was Bangor's first chance and they took it.

Following this reverse, Ballymena came more into prominence and both wingers dropped in beautiful crosses but the middle men could never convert them, try as they would, both Gilmore and Shiels missed good opportunities.

Later Gilmore shot on three consecutive occasions; always he found an opponent in the way, and the third time Moore ended ended the pressure.

Bangor came near getting number two in their next run when Salisbury found space to shoot. McKeen ran out to meet the ball but missed it, and Maloney shot into goal, but McDiarmid had fallen back to cover up and was fortunately well placed to effect a clearance.

The first corner of the match fell to Ballymena, but nothing came of it. Then Murphy accepted a pass from Gilmore, and running on his own he shot, but Moore saved. Armstrong had an equally good chance to score from another of Gilmore's passes, but he shot behind from close in. On their chances Ballymena should have been goals to the good.

At the end of thirty-two minutes Bangor increased their lead, Salisbury zipping in quickly to take advantage of a misunderstanding between Bassnett and McKeen.

Ballymena did all the pressing up to the interval, but in spite of forcing two corners the teams crossed over with the score still the same.

In the second half Ballymena shared even more of the play than they did in the first, but goals simply would not come. They swarmed round the Bangor goal on innumerable occasions, only to be baulked by a stone-wall defence which gave nothing way.

Howard, Shiels and Dalrymple each had tries, and once Gilmore missed the ball entirely as he raced in to intercept a centre from Murphy.

During most of this half the Ballymena backs stood on the half way line. the Bangor forwards scarcely over getting past this mark. The Bangor men packed their goal, kicking the ball anywhere as long as they got it away from the danger zone.

Several corners came Ballymena's way, but always the defence triumphed. A rather uninteresting game ended 2-0.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (16 May 1930)

<< Previous Match Next Match >>