Ballymena United 4 - 0 Portadown

League Cup - Quarter final
Tuesday, November 12th, 2013, 7:45 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: Ross Dunlop
Ballymena United  Portadown

David Cushley (7)
Mark Surgenor (58)
Gary Thompson (86)
Alan Teggart (pen.) (90)

Team Managers
Glenn Ferguson
Ronnie McFall

Starting Eleven
Stuart Addis
Aaron Stewart
David Munster
Jonathan Taylor
Mark McCullagh
Mark Surgenor
Tony Kane
Alan Teggart
Allan Jenkins
Gary Thompson
David Cushley
David Miskelly
Chris Casement
Emmet Friars
Garry Breen
Christopher Ramsey
Neil McCafferty
Peter McMahon
Shane O'Connor
Gary Twigg
Kevin Braniff
Darren Murray

Dwayne Nelson
Michael Ruddy
Gary Liggett
Michael McLellan
Shane Dolan
Tim Mouncey
Ryan McStay
Aaron Traynor
Billy Brennan
Joshua Barton

Shane Dolan for Mark Surgenor (83)
Michael Ruddy for Allan Jenkins (88)
Tim Mouncey for Shane O'Connor (26)
Ryan McStay for Kevin Braniff (66)
Aaron Traynor for Emmet Friars (76)

Mark Surgenor (78)
Neil McCafferty (70)
Emmet Friars (75)
David Miskelly (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stuart Addis (GK) 29 apps -
Mark McCullagh 25 apps -
David Munster 76 apps5 goals
Aaron Stewart 183 apps6 goals
Mark Surgenor 139 apps16 goals
Jonathan Taylor 47 apps6 goals
Tony Kane 87 apps6 goals
Alan Teggart 97 apps19 goals
Gary Thompson 58 apps8 goals
Allan Jenkins 89 apps14 goals
David Cushley 135 apps28 goals
Michael Ruddy (sub) 36 apps -
Shane Dolan (sub) 25 apps6 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gary Thompson (23 years 176 days)
Oldest Player:David Munster (34 years 270 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 300 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Michael Ruddy (20 years 104 days)
Oldest Player:David Munster (34 years 270 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 280 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

BALLYMENA United saw off the threat of Portadown in style on Tuesday night, running out convincing 4-0 winners at the Showgrounds thanks to goals from David Cushley, Mark Surgenor, Gary Thompson and a penalty from Alan Teggart.

United had the lead with only seven minutes on the clock, a scuffed 30 yard free kick from David Cushley somehow wrong footed David Miskelly in the Portadown goal to give United the lead. Allan Jenkins should have doubled his side's advantage on 21 minutes but Miskelly atoned for his earlier error with a superb save after Tony Kane's pinpoint through ball.

As the first half wore on, visiting striker Gary Twigg has a couple of half chances for Portadown but Stuart Addis in the United goal remained untroubled. Soon after the restart, Tony Kane was unfortunate not to make it 2-0 when his powerful shot was turned behind for a corner by the under pressure David Miskelly. The elusive second finally arrived on 58 minutes, Allan Jenkins set Tony Kane on a sprinting run down the right flank before he full back unselfishly squared for Mark Surgenor to finish with aplomb.

Darren Murray's looping header failed to trouble Stuart Addis in the United goal before Gary Thompson finally put the game beyond Portadown. The tenacious midfielder ran almost the length of the pitch before firing past David Miskelly to effectively wrap up proceedings. There was still time to add further gloss to the scoreline when Milskelly's miserable night was compounded when he upended David Cushley in the penalty area, allowing Alan Teggart to step up and fire United into the next round.

The Sky Blues will find out their semi final opponents on Saturday, when they also face a crucial Danske Bank Premiership clash at home to Ards.

Match report written by Jordan Miller

<< Previous Match Next Match >>