Ballymena 1 - 2 Linfield

County Antrim Shield - Quarter final
Wednesday, February 20th, 1929, 3:00 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: H. Hull (Burnley)
Ballymena  Linfield

David Reid (71)
Joe Bambrick (7)
Sam Somerset (51)

Team Managers
Selection Committee
Selection Committee

Starting Eleven
John Gough
Gordon McDairmid
John McNinch
David Reid
John Reid
Sidney Howard
James McCambridge
James Mitchell
Joseph Cassidy
Richard Shaw
Walter Clarke
Sam Rainey
James Crymble
Tommy Frame
James McGuire
George Moorehead
William McCleery
Maurice Pyper
Harry McCracken
Joe Bambrick
Sam Somerset
Harold McCaw

Linfield scored a well-deserved victory over Ballymena in the second round of the County Antrim Shield on Wednesday last. The match took place at the Showgrounds in wretched weather, but the inclement conditions did not deter a huge crowd from seeing the match.

During the greater part of the first half - and of the second also - Linfield played by far the better game, positioning excellently and whipping the ball about with great accuracy. Following the thaw the ground was heavy and soon got cut up, and this was the proper game to play. They were far more active on the ball than their opponents, who seemed at a loss on the heavy ground. Five or six minutes from the start Bambrick netted the first goal. Linfield continued to be the predominant team, and the home defence was sorely harassed, but stood up well to the subsequent attacks.

In the Linfield goal Rainey assumed the role of spectator, being covered up well by the backs, of whom Frame was magnificent. The first half was almost three-quarters gone before Ballymena began to warm up to their work, but they could not get past the defence, and half-time arrived with Linfield having a one-goal lead.

The visitors restarted with the same vim as characterised their display in the first half, and were soon another goal up, Somerset heading into the net following a free. Afterwards Ballymena had a spell of attack and worked hard for a goal, but were always foiled in the last minute. The really only dangerous shot came from Clarke, and Rainey stopped it well.

Play swung from end to end for a short period, and again Linfield forced the pace and were most dangerous. Had it not been for McNinch's superb display at right back the score against the homesters would undoubtedly have been heavier. When this half was almost half-an-hour gone D. Reid lifted the ball well in from a free and J. Reid headed into the net. From this point up to the end Linfield had the better share of the play, and retired with a goal victory to their credit.

Had Linfield scored another goal, or perharps a couple it would not have flattered them on the run of play. They suited their tactics to the conditions, whereas Ballymena persisted in playing as if they were on a dry ground. The visitors were far more alert and lost no time in heading for goal, about three kicks taking them from one end of the field to the other. Every man on the team played his share, and they thoroughly deserved their success. Of the home side, McNinch was the most prominent, with D. Reid a good second.

Match report written by Ballymena Observer (22 February 1929)

<< Previous Match Next Match >>