Warrenpoint Town 1 - 2 Ballymena United

Irish Cup - Round 6
Saturday, February 1st, 2020, 3:00 PM at Milltown
Referee: Shane Andrews
Warrenpoint Town Ballymena United

Brandon Doyle (48) Kyle Owens (60)
Andrew McGrory (87)

Team Managers
Barry Gray David Jeffrey

Starting Eleven
Mark Byrne
Emmet Bennett
Anton Reilly
Alan O'Sullivan
Brandon Doyle
Eamon Scannell
Stuart Hutchinson
Daniel Wallace
Kealan Dillon
Colm Deasy
Ryan Swan
Ross Glendinning
Jonathan Addis
Kyle Owens
Scot Whiteside
Steven McCullough
Andrew McGrory
James Knowles
Jude Winchester
Leroy Millar
Adam Lecky
Cathair Friel

Ciaran McCann
Gavin Smith
Matthew Lynch
Deane Watters
Kris Cowan
Ryan O'Kane
Lorcan Murnaghan
Andrew Burns
Joshua Kelly
Kofi Balmer
Reece Glendinning
Tony Kane
Ross Lavery
Kenneth Kane

None. Joshua Kelly for Jude Winchester (86)
Tony Kane for James Knowles (90)

Colm Deasy (41) Cathair Friel (41)
Andrew McGrory (88)

Red Cards
Mark Byrne (90) None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ross Glendinning (GK) 134 apps -
Kyle Owens 88 apps13 goals
Scot Whiteside 47 apps1 goal
Steven McCullough 120 apps5 goals
Jonathan Addis 73 apps5 goals
Andrew McGrory 70 apps20 goals
Leroy Millar 161 apps23 goals
James Knowles 38 apps6 goals
Jude Winchester 56 apps8 goals
Cathair Friel 153 apps68 goals
Adam Lecky 61 apps21 goals
Joshua Kelly (sub) 25 apps1 goal
Tony Kane (sub) 335 apps47 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Scot Whiteside (22 years 235 days)
Oldest Player:Adam Lecky (28 years 281 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 182 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kofi Balmer (19 years 139 days)
Oldest Player:Tony Kane (32 years 164 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 215 days
Domestic Players:18 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

Andrew McGrory's late winner saw Ballymena United come from behind to beat Warrenpoint Town 2-1 in their Sadlers Peaky Blinder Irish Cup sixth round tie.

United made four changes for the long trip to Milltown Playing Fields from the side that lost to Crusaders a week ago, as they looked to all keep the season alive by advancing to the quarter-finals.

The first half will surely be a contender for the most uneventful half of the cup this season as a scrappy game led to little action at either end. Neither side had an upper hand in the early stages, with Jonny Addis firing well wide on the turn the only half chance of the opening half hour. The Braidmen had a strong penalty appeal turned down midway through the half when Lecky went down under a challenge from Danny Wallace, with United's fans behind the goal adamant he was fouled.

The best chance of the half came the way of Andy McGrory when a cross from Lecky deflected out to him, but his well drilled effort was well gathered by Mark Byrne. Warrenpoint's first attempt of any kind came in the 42nd minute via Eamon Scannell from distance, but his shot went miles over the crossbar.

In the last minute of the half Kyle Owens had a go with a half volley on the edge of the box, but it flew into the shrubbery on the hill behind the goal as the half unsurprisingly ended goalless.

The drama the first half lacked came in full supply in an eventful second period. The deadlock was broken just three minutes into the half by the hosts. An effort from Alan O'Sullivan was blocked by Scot Whiteside, but fell to Brandon Doyle who curled a tidy effort past Ross Glendinning on the edge of the box.

Ballymena finally seemed to waken up after falling behind and dominated proceedings for most of the game thereafter. McGrory was looking the most likely threat of danger for the Sky Blues and a cross from McGrory was poked wide by Cathair Friel, before McGrory went close himself when he was denied again by a good Byrne stop. Seconds after that good McGrory chance the 'Point hit on the counter attack which ended with O'Sullivan blazing a shot over.

On the stroke of the hour mark United levelled. James Knowles delivered a fantastic corner that was begging to be finished off and it was as Kyle Owens headed home for his first goal in his second spell at United.

Former Ballymena man Wallace went extremely close to putting his side back in front shortly after Owens' goal when he looped a deep free kick back towards goal and forced Glendinning to claw the ball off the line. Minutes later Wallace was involved at the other end when Lecky put Jude Winchester through on goal, but he was stopped by a great last ditch challenge from Wallace.

As the game entered the final ten minutes and extra time looked every more likely, Ballymena went close again when Friel was played in by Lecky, but from an extremely tight angle he shot narrowly wide. Three minutes later Leroy Millar's low ball into the box fell to Winchester, with his shot blocked into the path of McGrory, but yet again Byrne got down well to make a smart save.

With two minutes left until added time Ballymena snatched it in remarkable fashion as McGrory scored a late winner that his play deserved. The goal was all about the pass from Millar. An inch-perfect ball from the centre circle from the captain on the day set McGrory racing clear and he coolly slotted past Byrne in front of the travelling fans to secure a place in the quarter-finals, where they will travel to face Bluefin Sport Championship side Ballinamallard United.

Match report written by Philip McPeake

<< Previous Match Next Match >>