Ballymena United 4 - 0 Crumlin Star

Irish Cup - Round 5
Saturday, January 10th, 2015, 3:00 PM at Ballymena Showgrounds
Referee: Evan Boyce
Ballymena United  Crumlin Star

Matthew Tipton (pen.) (5)
Gary McCutcheon (29)
Darren Henderson (70)
Darren Henderson (83)

Team Managers
Glenn Ferguson

Starting Eleven
Stuart Addis
Jonathan Taylor
Mark McCullagh
Stephen McBride
Tony Kane
Allan Jenkins
Brian McCaul
Gary Thompson
Darren Henderson
Gary McCutcheon
Matthew Tipton

Jim Ervin
Mark Surgenor
Alan Teggart
Neal Gawley
David Cushley

Jim Ervin for Mark McCullagh (55)
David Cushley for Matthew Tipton (69)
Alan Teggart for Gary Thompson (79)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Stuart Addis (GK) 42 apps -
Stephen McBride 45 apps -
Mark McCullagh 65 apps -
Jonathan Taylor 94 apps10 goals
Tony Kane 136 apps8 goals
Gary Thompson 98 apps13 goals
Brian McCaul 12 apps -
Allan Jenkins 145 apps28 goals
Matthew Tipton 33 apps14 goals
Darren Henderson 47 apps16 goals
Gary McCutcheon 92 apps51 goals
Jim Ervin (sub) 18 apps1 goal
Alan Teggart (sub) 150 apps28 goals
David Cushley (sub) 184 apps44 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Brian McCaul (24 years 163 days)
Oldest Player:Gary McCutcheon (36 years 103 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 38 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Brian McCaul (24 years 163 days)
Oldest Player:Gary McCutcheon (36 years 103 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 191 days
Domestic Players:13 (81.25 % of matchday squad)

BALLYMENA United progressed to the sixth round of the Irish Cup courtesy of a comfortable four goal to nil victory over Crumlin Star at the Showgrounds.

United started brightly and were awarded a penalty with just five minutes on the clock after captain Allan Jenkins went down in the area under challenge from Star defender Kevin McLaughlin. Top scorer Matthew Tipton duly converted the spot kick to give the hosts an early lead.

Barry McKervey scuffed an effort wide of goal for the visitors after dispossessing United defender Mark McCullagh in a dangerous area before the Sky Blues took control of the game with a sublime second. Striker Gary McCutcheon beat a defender on the edge of the box before displaying excellent footwork to work his way into the area and finish smartly beyond Star goalkeeper McNeill.

Matthew Tipton should have wrapped up proceedings with his second and United's third on 38 minutes but shot well wide of goal from a promising position after a neat one-two with Allan Jenkins. Star almost got a foothold back in the game as half time approached but thankfully for United, Kevin Trainor's stunning 25 yard effort cannoned back off the crossbar.

Darren Boyce and Stephen McBride both went close for United early in the second half whilst Star had appeals for a penalty waved away after Johnny Taylor tackled Mark Mooney in the area. There was positive news for the Sky Blues as both Jim Ervin and David Cushley made returns from long lay-offs as substitutes with Cushley providing an assist with virtually his first touch, an excellent cross into the box which was headed home by Darren Boyce on 70 minutes.

Boyce completed the scoring on 83 minutes after being played through by the upended Allan Jenkins, with Star's Paul Berne shown a straight red card before the restart for his challenge. David Cushley almost made a scoring return in the dying stages but his trademark powerful effort came back off the post, leaving the score at 4-0 and safe progression to the sixth round.

Match report written by Jordan Miller

<< Previous Match Next Match >>